Barry Frost

This is Barry Frost’s personal website.

Tagged #indieauth

Micropublish: IndieAuth updates and supported properties feature

Yesterday I pushed a new release of Micropublish to include recent updates for clients to the IndieAuth specification, as summarised in Aaron Parecki’s IndieAuth 2020 write-up.

Read full post…
In reply to Jamie Tanna Jamie Tanna’s post “Creating a Personal IndieAuth Server” on
I've completed my implementation of an IndieAuth v1.1 server, which has been a goal of mine for some time. IndieAuth is a great standard for being "OAuth for the Open Web", and within the IndieWeb community, it's seeing some great investment and dive…

Judging by the screenshot, it looks like I need to make some IndieAuth updates to Micropublish. Shamed!

Serverless IndieAuth (with Netlify)

In reply to Aaron Parecki Aaron Parecki’s post “Announcing the IndieAuth Spec!” on
It's been a long time coming, but I've finally published a proper IndieAuth spec! IndieAuth has been around for years, and is even referenced by the Micropub spec. But until now, there wasn't a canonical version of the spec all in one place. Pre…

Nice! 🎉 Looking forward to going through this to see what I’ve missed in my implementations.

Acquiescence: a basic IndieAuth server

IndieAuth is a method for using your own domain name to sign in to other sites and tools. It’s one of the key parts of Micropub, the (newly) W3C recommended standard for posting to your site. is the original and one of the very few public implementations of an IndieAuth server that you can use, but recently I’ve been having problems getting it to work with my site’s SSL setup.

So I decided this was a good opportunity to try building my own IndieAuth authorization and token endpoints using the detailed documentation in the IndieWeb wiki.

And Acquiescence is the result. It’s very simple (~160 lines of Ruby) and allows me to use my GitHub account to authenticate, authorise and grant scoped access to third-party tools like Micropublish. I’m now using it for this site’s domain.

I’ve used my favourite stack of Ruby, Sinatra and Heroku for hosting, plus Redis to store the auths/tokens. The source code is available at if you want to poke around.