The main reason behind the rewrite was to support the latest Micropub specification. Sometimes it’s easier (and more fun) to try a different approach than battle legacy decisions, especially when it’s your own site. Content is now Microformats2 end-to-end and stored in a GitHub repo.
Transformative passes all Micropub tests in the very handy Micropub.rocks test suite. I’ve also contributed a few updates to the Ruby webmention gem and this site now also meets a healthy level of compliance with the Webmention spec, including updates and deletes.
Underneath, I’ve used Ruby and Sinatra again, but I’ve switched hosting back to Heroku from a VPS, mainly because I didn’t want to have to install and configure Postgres or do regular sysadmin chores. Doing so was interesting for a while.
Cloudflare sits in front of Heroku and maintains a free full SSL connection for pages, while S3 serves media securely.
The new site should hopefully have kept 100% of older posts at the same URLs by maintaining the previous URL scheme, or via redirects if needed. No link rot here.
Next, I want (and need) to update my Micropub client, Micropublish, to bring it up-to-date and support editing and deleting of posts.
Send me a webmention (or tweet) and let me know what you think.
- Test Webmention : Transformative is a mi…” on Twitter replied to this “
- Test Webmention : Transformative is a microblogging engine that powers barryfrost.com. It's… rmendes.net/2016/barryf-te…
- there you go some sweet webmention love…” on Twitter replied to this “
- there you go some sweet webmention love :) (rmendes.net/s/4of4E)
- calumryan.com replied to this on
- Look forward to seeing this at the next homebrew!